Over the last year I have invested all of my diving not obligated to work to using my GoPro Hero 2 and more recently Hero 4 silver. The combination of affordability, ease of use and high quality video makes it a no brainer for any diver that wants to share their experience with their friends. There is a lot of trial and error using a GoPro and there is no doubt that a shot you may have hoped to capture might not turn out the way you wanted. Aside from putting away the time to practice with the GoPro are a a couple things i think are imperative for diving with GoPro.
- Dive Housing- despite the standard housing being water proof to 139ft there are a couple reasons the dive housing is better. The dive housing is thicker and can take more punishment and depth 199ft, it also is compatible for multiple filter systems.
- Color correction Filters- Color is lost with depth, depending on how deep your dive is you may need different filters, red is the most common filter to brighten up the colors on a dive, the darker the red filter the deeper its intended for. There are also filters for green water like Monterey Bay and have a Rose color.
- A proper Mount- there are many mounts that divers use for different reasons, its up to you to find what works best, but my recommendation is between pistol grip, pole/extendable pole, or a trey. Holing it in your hand or mounting it on your head has a lot of sway and movement and can make the watchers sick and hard to steady the picture.
- Lanyard or clip- attach the GoPro or mount to you in some way either using a lanyard on your wrist or a clip to your bcd somewhere so you can have your hands free in an emergency and not lose your GoPro.
- Spare Batteries- if you own a GoPro you are well aware that they still don’t have the best batteries, I highly recommend Having a spare battery or two just so you can have a fresh battery for each dive so you don’t miss out on a chance to catch anything. They don’t have to be GoPro brand batteries the aftermarket ones work fine in my opinion and you can often find a package of 2 batteries online with charger and car adapter.
These in my opinion having these pieces of equipment will vastly improve the quality of the video you are taking, I will have videos of my dives posted periodically and hopefully everyone enjoys.